Sunday 17 January 2021

CASHING IN OUR FREEDOM: the push to make us a cash free society.

 

Some people believe that Covid-19 vaccines will come with a tiny computer chip in it that will enable governments to control our minds.  Really, I know such people.  To them I say: no one knows fully how the brain works so how will a chip make us compliant?  Secondly, governments can't agree with one another, so how will they come up with this plan for world domination?

It is amazing what people believe but God bless their imaginations and, certainly, we do have to watch out for subversive behaviour and attempts to control us.  Why, therefore, are people not up in arms when both authorities and commercial institutions want to trial a cashless society?  Personally the mind boggles at this real attempt at control.

If your money is controlled electronically you can be, at the government, tax office or credit company's whim, cut off from your money.  You may have cash under your mattress or in a safe deposit box but, if you can't use it as legal tender, what's the point?

Did you speak up when the idea of a cashless society was put forward?  I bet you didn't.  I lost my job to Covid ten months ago and that was because the work simply dried up.  Nonetheless at every opportunity I warned my customers of allowing the government and banks to push us to a cashless society.  They didn't seem too perturbed, which worried me.  Australians are a wonderful bunch but, having grown up in a fairly ideal and fair society, they don't see danger coming until it hits them in the face.

I remember almost thirty years ago, when my parents were living in Perth, WA, the Federal government pushed for an identity card.  Everyone, including my parents, was appalled.  They even joined the march through the streets of Perth to object to the card.  I couldn't really see the problem with it because the government already knew everything about everybody anyway.  I mean people had driver's licenses, tax numbers, Medicare cards and such.  This just didn't seem such a stretch to me but I admired my parents for standing up and asserting their objection peacefully and, thankfully, the government in Australia really does pay attention to numbers because they mean votes.  The identity card never did make it through Parliament after the strenuous objections.

These days I like online newspapers and their comments sections.  When a paper was hard copy, only a few people were literate and topical enough to have their letters to the Editor printed.  I know the Editors choose letters representing both sides of an argument because my father and grand-father were newspaper editors.  Of course I'm talking about unbiased media and you have to read between the lines, but most Australian newspapers are reasonable in the letters they print expressing readers' views.

Now back to why I like online papers.  When an article hits a nerve on a topical subject there can be over seven hundred online comments and that wasn't possible with hard copy.  The editors do peruse them to make sure they are not too inflammatory.  I know this as, occasionally, they don't print what I write and I have to amend my comment.  The sheer quantity of feedback is noted by government bodies and it gives them feedback on the way voters are thinking.  I've often seen our Queensland Premier reacting after a news item generated hundreds of comments and having to change the government's plan due to popular opinion.

Take for example this last week of January 11 to 18, 2021.  A quarantine hotel cleaner in Brisbane caught Covid.   The government addresses the populace through the media stating they don't know how she caught the new, more contagious strain, but they're working on finding out.  Hundreds of comments poured in following the online newspaper article, including one of mine, that the air-conditioning was likely to blame.  The news bulletin on television that night had the government agreeing it could be the air-conditioning or balcony contact.  But everyone was taken out of the hotel fast.  That's people power.  Why no one had thought of the air-conditioning, central and pumped throughout the rooms, defies understanding, but no one in authority apparently had.

I hope you see where I'm heading with this.  If you're not worried about becoming a cashless society, please think again and, if you decide it is a bad idea, please start to object peacefully, vocally, online and by discussing it with people you know so that they might also think about it too.  When a freedom is gone, it's gone and usually only violent rebellion can restore it.

The Internet, mass communication and the electronic ease of doing things is wonderful in so many ways but everything comes with a good and bad side.  In fact the better something is, the worse is its dark side.  This is the time to protect our freedoms.  The world moves so fast now, we may lose them before we have the time to do something about them.

END

 

No comments:

Post a Comment